It is a well-known fact that small farmers of the country do not have the economic strength to retain their farm produce with them till the market prices become favourable. There has been a felt need in the country to provide the farming community with facilities for scientific storage so that wastage and produce deterioration are avoided and enable farmers to meet their credit requirement without being compelled to sell their produce at unfavorable prices.
A network of rural godowns will enable small farmers to enhance their holding capacity in order to sell their produce at fair prices and avoid distress sales. Accordingly, Grameen Bhandaran Yojana, a Capital Investment Subsidy Scheme for Construction/Renovation of Rural Godowns was introduced in 2001-2002.
Objectives of the Scheme
- Creation of scientific storage capacity with allied facilities in rural areas to meet the requirements of farmers for storing farm produce, processed farm produce and agricultural inputs
- Promotion of grading, standardisation and quality control of agricultural produce to improve marketability
- Prevention of distress sale immediately after harvest by providing the facility of pledge financing and marketing credit
- Strengthening of agricultural marketing infrastructure in the country with the introduction of a national system of warehouse receipts, in respect of agricultural commodities stored in such godowns
- Reverse the declining trend of investment in agriculture sector by encouraging private and cooperative sectors to invest in storage infrastructure in the country
Who can benefit from this scheme?
- Farmers/Group of farmers/growers
- Partnership/Proprietary firms
- Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs)
- Self-Help Groups (SHGs)
- Companies & Corporations
- Local Bodies other than Municipal Corporations
- Agricultural Produce Marketing Committees (APMCs)
- Marketing Boards and Agro Processing Corporations in the entire country
Assistance for renovation of rural godowns will, however, be restricted to godowns constructed by cooperatives only.
THE SCHEME HAS BEEN CLOSED AND SUBSUMED UNDER AGRI-MARKETING INFRASTRUCTURE SCHEME A SUBSCHEME UNDER ISAM WITH EFFECT FROM 01-04-14.
Links for downloads
Continuation of the scheme