Finance department plays an important role in overall functioning of NABARD. It ensures availability of funds for the Business departments and Development departments of the Bank as and when required.
2. Core Functions of the Department
The Finance department carries out three main functions:
A. Raising of Resources
B. Liquidity Management (inward & outward remittances)
C. Treasury Operations
D. Managing Superannuation Funds (Gratuity, Pension, etc.)
A. Raising of Resources
The department mobilises resources to meet bank’s fund requirements through a mix of instruments for different tenures, viz.,
• Certificate of Deposits
• Commercial Papers
• Term Deposits
• Corporate Borrowings
• Term loan from Banks
• Term Money Borrowings
• Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF) deposits
• Short Term Cooperative Rural Credit (STCRC) deposits
• Short Term Regional Rural Bank (STRRB) deposits
• Long Term Rural Credit Fund (LTRCF) deposits, etc.
• Warehouse Infrastructure Fund (WIF)
• Food Processing Fund (FPF)
In the Bonds category, four types of bonds have been issued to retail investors, viz. Capital Gains Bonds, NABARD Rural Bonds, Bhavishya Nirman Bonds and Tax-Free Bonds.
Bonds, Certificate of Deposits and Commercial Papers are issued after obtaining ratings from an approved credit rating agency, viz. CRISIL, ICRA, India Ratings or CARE. Bhavishya Nirman Bonds, which are zero coupon bonds with a tenure of 10 years, and tax-free bonds were rated by at least two credit rating agencies. NABARD’s Bonds issuances received AAA (the highest) or equivalent ratings from these agencies.
The bonds issued to institutional investors are listed on the National Stock Exchange (NSE), while Bhavishya Nirman Bonds and Tax Free Bonds are listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE). The servicing of retail instruments (viz. Capital Gains Bonds, NABARD Rural Bonds and Bhavishya Nirman Bonds) is done by UTI Infrastructure Technology and Services Ltd., which acts as our Registrar and Transfer Agent. The Corporate Bonds are serviced by Datamatics Financial Services Ltd. IDBI Trusteeship Services Ltd is the trustee for Corporate Bonds and Bhavishya Nirman Bonds. For tax-free bonds issued in 2015-16, Axis Trustee Services Ltd acts as Debenture Trustee and Link Intime serves as the Registrar. Contact details of Registrars, Trustees and NABARD are furnished at Investors’ window on Home page of the site.
NABARD’s Compliance Officer is Shri T S Sivasankaran. He can be reached via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org in case of any grievance / query regarding Bonds by our Bond investors. Queries on retail Bonds issued by NABARD can also be forwarded to email@example.com.
B. Liquidity Management
The Department remits funds for loaning operations and other purposes to NABARD Regional Offices and client institutions (Commercial Banks, Regional Rural Banks, State Cooperative Agriculture and Rural Development Banks, State Cooperative Banks and District Central Cooperative Banks), State Governments and other eligible agencies directly or through NABARD Regional Offices. NABARD has also brought in efficiency in remittances by leveraging technology.
C. Treasury Operations
The Department carries out treasury operations with a view to ensuring availability of adequate liquid resources as per requirement for business/development operations and administrative functions of the bank. The Treasury Cell also invests the bank’s temporary surpluses and other funds in approved instruments in accordance with the provisions of the NABARD Act, the Reserve Bank of India guidelines and directions given by the Board of Directors and the Investment Committee.
D. Managing Superannuation Funds
The department manages investments in approved securities for handling its Employees’ retirement benefit plans such as pension, gratuity, leave encashment, post-retirement medical benefits, etc.
3. Broad Achievements of the Department at a National Level
- NABARD has been entrusted by GoI to handle phased resource mobilisation for the prestigious flagship schemes, viz., Long Term Irrigation Fund (LTIF), Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana – Gramin (PMAY-G), Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) from FY 2017-18.
- Fund raising under Green Climate Fund (GCF) - NABARD is accredited as National Implementing Entity under Green climate Fund. The Green Climate Fund has been designated as an operating entity of the financial mechanism of the UNFCCC. NABARD has so far mobilized US $ 50 million from the Fund to support development of Solar Rooftop Units for clients of commercial, industrial and residential housing sector in the country.