The Department of Economic Analysis and Research (DEAR) was set up to provide policy and action-oriented research support through macro-level data analysis and field-based feedback on issues of relevance to NABARD, the government and the banking industry. It specialises in knowledge-driven activities relating to agriculture and rural development, as per the mandate of NABARD.
The strength of the department lies in the cadre of professional economists and its ability to network and collaborate with other reputed institutions.
2. Vision of Department of Economic Analysis and Research
“To develop into a quality research wing of NABARD that conducts and coordinates research to generate ideas, help evolve policy inputs, evaluate policy alternatives that would help the management in realising the objectives of the organisation and produce research output that improves NABARD’s understanding of the dimensions of rural credit in particular and overall rural development in general.”
3. Core Functions of the Department
A. Provide policy inputs to the management through research studies
- Conduct in-house studies and other research activities through subject matter specialists within the organisation at the Head Office and Regional Offices
- Conduct studies in collaboration with other research institutions of repute on state/region-specific issues
B. Manage the Research and Development (R&D) Fund
The R&D Fund was established by the bank in accordance with the provisions of the NABARD Act, 1981, with a corpus of Rs. 50 crore. The fund is used to extend grant support broadly for the following:
• Research projects/studies
Studies and research projects supported under the R&D Fund aim at acquiring new insights into the problems of agriculture and rural development through in-depth studies, applied research and innovative approaches.
• Seminars/conferences, etc.
The R&D Fund is also utilised for sponsoring events or extending partial support towards printing of proceedings/research articles presented in the conferences/seminars conducted by outside agencies as well as in-house on themes relevant and useful to NABARD.
• NABARD Chair Unit Scheme
The NABARD Chair Unit Scheme has been formulated keeping in view the need to establish strong research linkages with reputed institutions, with the objective of pursuing extensive research in the areas of agriculture and rural development. It also publishes Monographs based on the deliberations at the National Seminars.
DEAR brings out publications in the form of Occasional Papers, Knowledge Series, Rural Pulse, Micro Finance Review, etc. for wider dissemination of research outcomes, both internal and external, on areas of interest to NABARD.
• Student Internship Scheme Programme
NABARD has been offering internships to students having good academic backgrounds and pursuing Post-Graduate degrees in various disciplines in institutes of repute. The objective of this programme is to obtain feedback through studies/projects on themes related to agriculture and rural development.
C. Prepare annual report of NABARD
The department brings out the annual report of NABARD which documents a comprehensive picture of the activities undertaken by NABARD in the previous financial year.
D. Manage the Rural Economy Tracker
The department has evolved a data tracking system, titled Rural Economy Tracker (RET) by bringing all important data relating to various aspects of the rural economy of India together. RET tracks 57 different parameters, including the rainfall situation, agricultural production, wholesale price index (WPI) and consumer price index (CPI).
E. Provide support to Committees/Expert Working Groups
The department and / or provide its officers academic / secretarial support to the committees wherein NABARD is involved.
F. Maintain the Central Library of NABARD
DEAR maintains an expansive Central Library of NABARD at its head office with over 23,800 books on various topics besides journals, newspapers, magazines and online data subscriptions.
4. Broad Achievements of the Department at the National Level
- Findings, based on the studies conducted by DEAR have facilitated/triggered policy refinements of NABARD, the Government of India, RBI, etc. such as in the case of agriculture gold loans, interest subvention schemes, etc.
- DEAR has prepared two lead papers, viz., ‘Enhancing Farm Incomes’ and ‘Enabling Environment for Doubling Farmers’ Income’ and presented during the Foundation Day Seminar on Doubling Farmers’ Income on 12 July 2016 in Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi.
- The Department conducted three national level seminars during 2015-16 on:
- Mitigating agrarian distress and enhancing farm income;
- Agri value chain
Micro-financeAgri value chain The officers of the Department have prepared over 20 papers which were presented in seminars/conferences and published in Journals.
5. Ongoing projects and schemes
A. NABARD has sponsored research on various subjects, such as:
- Agriculture value chain
- Rural infrastructure and rural-urban interface
- Rural service sector
- Resource management options for rain-fed agriculture
A total of 19 studies were contracted to reputed research institutions/university departments/business schools in the country on the above topics.
B. NABARD launched a pan-India large sample survey, titled NABARD All India Financial Inclusion Survey (NAFIS). The survey focuses on livelihood and financial inclusion aspects of rural households to generate a deeper understanding of the financial inclusion at the grass root level.
C. DEAR is sponsoring 7 studies across the country on Doubling Farmers Income.
6. Important Links
Dr. U.S. Saha
Chief General Manager
4th Floor, ‘C’ Wing, C-24, ‘G’ Block
Bandra-Kurla Complex, Bandra (East)
Tel: (91) 022-26523617
Fax: (91) 022-26530086