Considering the success of the special window under Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF) during 2011- 12, an increased allocation of Rs. 5,000 crore under the special window under RIDF (Tranche XVIII) was made by GoI during 2012- 13 for financing State Governments and State-owned agencies to increase the scientific food grain storage requirements towards food and nutritional security.
GoI allocated further amounts of Rs. 5,000 crore each during 2013- 14 and 2014- 15 through a separate dedicated corpus (outside allocation under RIDF) for providing affordable credit to the public as well as private sectors to facilitate augmentation of the existing agricultural warehousing infrastructure in the country. This allocation was constituted as Warehouse Infrastructure Fund (WIF).
Loans will be provided for projects involving creation of storage infrastructure with a minimum aggregate capacity of 5000 metric tons (MT) for agricultural and allied produce, including construction of:
- Cold storage, Controlled Atmosphere (CA) Stores, other Cold Chain Infrastructure Activities like Pack Houses/ Integrated Pack Houses, Reefer Vans, Bulk Coolers, Individually Quick Frozen Units, Chilling/ Freezing Infrastructure, etc.
- Construction/ Modernisation/ Upgradation of Marketing Infrastructure Facilities of Agricultural Produce Marketing Committee (APMC).
- Modernization/ Improvement of the existing storage infrastructure projects will be considered on merit of each proposal provided it leads to Scientific/ Additional storage capacity.
- There’s no minimum capacity for projects of Governments/ Government owned corporations.
- Eligible Institutions/Entities
- State Governments
- State/ Central Government Owned/ Assisted entities, Cooperatives, Federations of Cooperatives, Farmers’ Producers’ Organizations (FPOs), Federations of Farmers’ Collectives, SPVs set up under PPP mode, etc.
- Primary Agricultural Credit Societies (PACS)/ Cooperative Marketing Societies (CMS) or similar institutions
- Corporates/ Companies/ Individual Entrepreneurs etc.
- Agricultural Produce Marketing Committees (APMCs)