NABARD - Student Internship Scheme 2016-2017 - page 100

Summary No-39
Profile of the Student:
Name: Devarapalli V.Sankari
Degree Programme :MBA
University/ Institute : Tamil Nadu Agriculture University, Coimbatore-641 003
Profile of the Mentor:
Name: K.Arthanareeswaran
Designation : DGM
Department : RIDF
Name of Regional Office : Tamilnadu (Chennai)
Objectives and Methodology of the study:
• To have an overview on the status of organic farming in Tamil Nadu
• To study the regulatory framework for organic farming
• To study the financial framework available for organic farming
• To put forth the challenges faced by the organic farmers
• To find out the opportunities towards organic farming
Sample State / Districts: Tamil Nadu / Madurai and Thiruppur
Sample size: 100 organic farmers, 50 each in Madurai and Thiruppur district.
Primary data collection from the sample respondents (organic farmers), through a structured
questionnaire. Secondary data collection from sources like government publications, annual reports,
websites, other publications. Snowball Sampling Technique was adopted and percentage analysis, Linear
Regression Analysis and Benefit Cost Ratio were carried out.
Major Findings:
a. Majority of the sample organic farmers were in the age group of 41-60
b. 46% of the sample farmers had agriculture as their only occupation
c. Major crops in Thiruppur was coconut and vegetables and it was minor millets in Madurai district
d. 34% of the sample farmers shifted their total land holding to organic in one go and the rest 66%
converted only a portion of their land, to begin with.
e. The credit linkage was found to poor in both the districts, 26% in Madurai and 42% in Thiruppur
f. The crop insurance penetration was only 19%
g. The KCC usage was found to be abysmally low at 3%
h. According to the survey data, 56 % of the organic farming was with small farmers, 26% with big
farmers and 18% with marginal farmers.
1...,90,91,92,93,94,95,96,97,98,99 101,102,103,104,105,106,107,108,109,110,...138
Powered by FlippingBook